You’re losing money. But, you’re not alone. All online sellers suffer from cart abandonment issues. Every day you’re losing potential orders online.
With a market flooded with extensions for your Magento web store, it’s hard to figure out which one is best for you. We’ve done the research and narrowed down the choices for you.
But first, let’s understand why shopping cart abandonment happens in the first place.
Common Causes for Shopping Cart Abandonment
The average online shopping cart abandonment rate is 68%, according to Baymard Institute. And that number is an average of 22 different studies, meaning that some sources report abandonment rates as high as 80.3%.
The question is, why do so many people abandon their online shopping carts?
As you probably already guessed, a lot of has to do with the checkout process. Statistia provided some of the main reasons why online shoppers leave without paying:
- Presented with unexpected costs (56%)
- I was just browsing (37%)
- Website navigation too complicated (25%)
- Website crashed (24%)
- Process was taking too long (21%)
Since shopping cart abandonment is a universal problem for online sellers, developers have created a multitude of solutions. We’ll look at those specifically designed for Magento webstore users.
How to Evaluate a Magento Cart Abandonment Extension
We considered the following criteria the following when researching Mangento extensions:
- Functionality: Cart abandonment extensions are meant to fix different problems. Some improve the actual checkout process while others focus on re-marketing. Consider a customer’s journey before they click the “submit order” button. Which steps along this journey do you need to improve most?
- Compatibility: Double-check that the extension is compatible with your Magento version.
- Price: Some extensions come with hefty price tags, but that’s because they offer way more value. If it’s free, there’s probably a reason why. But don’t overpay for bells and whistles you don’t need, either.
- Popularity: Who better to trust than the Magento community? Use the extension’s popularity as a way to gauge how it’s working out for sellers just like you. Read through customer reviews to see what users have to say about it.
- Support: See what type of support the developer offers. Since cart abandonment is so important, you’ll want to make sure the extension is always running smoothly.
Now that you know what to look for in an extension, you’re ready to compare and contrast all of your options.
Comparison of the Top 5 Magento Shopping Cart Abandonment Extensions
We knew you didn’t have the time to go through that whole list by yourself. So, we went ahead and did it for you. We picked the top 5 extensions by using the criteria above and what we already know about cart abandonment problems.
|OneStep Checkout v4||7,309||4.4/5||€245/ ~$310||1.0 - 1.9||Non-US, Email|
|Quick One Page Checkout||3,528||5/5||$89.00||1.5 - 1.9||US & Non-US, Email|
|Abandoned Carts Alerts Pro||3,282||5/5||$89.00||1.3 - 1.9||Pay for support|
|Personalized Shopping & Coupons||3,398||4/5||$44.00||1.4 - 1.9|
|Follow Up Email by aheadWORKS||2,373||4.7/5||$199.00||1.4 - 1.9||Online portal|
1. OneStep Checkout v4
OneStep Checkout v4 aims to simplify the checkout process. As its name implies, the extension reduces the six standard Magento checkout steps down to one. Quick, easier checkouts lead to more customers completing their order. A single change to a one-page process can effectively reduce your shopping cart abandonment. The extension offers:
- Checkout on a single page above the fold
- Fully responsive checkout for all devices
- Ability for customer to enter coupon code directly on website
- Auto-update final price and other fields when choosing shipping method, location, or payment method
A responsive demo of this can be found here: http://responsive.demo.onestepcheckout.com/
2. Quick One Page Checkout
Similar to OneStep Checkout v4, Quick One Page Checkout removes unnecessary steps from the checkout process. It is five times faster when compared to the Standard Magento Checkout process. Save time for your customers and stop missing out on other sales. Their main features are:
- Express one page checkout that supports all popular order options and payment methods
- Extension is mobile responsive
- Customers can review order before placing it
- Support for multiple languages
A responsive demo of this can be found here: http://demo.mage-extensions-themes.com
3. Abandoned Carts Alerts Pro
Cart abandonment happens sometimes because a customer is just browsing. Or, maybe they forget to finalize their purchase at a later time. Abandoned Carts Alerts Pro helps you re-capture sales from forgotten or incomplete orders. Their extension’s features are:
- Send alerts for both abandoned carts and abandoned orders (payment didn’t go through, etc)
- Send alerts to registered members and guests
- Enable customers to recover their carts with just one click
- Provides admin with an editable html template for remainders
A responsive demo ( for front end) of this can be found here: http://abandoned-carts-alerts-pro.demo.aitoc.com
4. Personalized Shopping & Coupons
Personalized Shopping & Coupons allows you to automatically trigger the right experience for each shopper. By using behavioral targeting tactics, sellers can treat each visitor as a unique customer. You’ll have more buying customers and reduce your shopping cart abandonment rate at the same time. This extensions allows you to:
- Target new visitors with a personalized offer to increase order volume
- Automatically detect hesitating shoppers before they bounce and get their email
- Reward loyal customers with discount coupons
- Provide real time coupon and promotional offerings
5. Follow Up Email by aheadWORKS
Follow Up Email is a powerful auto-responder and customer relationship tool. It’s features allow sellers to improve conversion rates. You’ll increase your sales with better customer insights. And, at the same time, you’re enhancing your customer relationships and building loyalty. With this extension, you can:
- Track and send notifications to Magento store visitors who abandoned their shopping carts
- Restore their carts in just one click on the link sent in the email notification
- Track customers who placed orders by clicking on the email link
- Create and deploy specially-targeted product promotions based on customer wishlists
What to Do Next
Think about what re-vamping you can do to your checkout process to lower your shopping cart abandonment rate. Whether it’s reducing your checkout to one step, offering real-time personalized offers, sending follow up emails, or a combination of them all, these extensions help increase your sales. And, if you want to see what other great extensions Magento has out there, check out our Top 5 Best Magento Extensions of 2014.
Sending email to lost
customers and providing discount really works for you. I have found a Magento extension
) which automatically sends e mail to customers who left cart empty, which is I
guess one of the best way to reduce abandoned carts.
Thanks Alice for the suggestion! I’ll be sure to check this extension out.
Hi Jillion Knox,
Thanks for your valuable resources, it’ll help all ecommerce owners to get their lost customers.
I’d like to suggest here some of the extensions that powers ecommerce store better.
Collective Combination of 5 Extensions in a single pack:
1. OneStep Checkout
2. Magento FB Discount
3. Facebook Social
4. AJAX Cart Pro
5. Out of Stock Notification
To Stay tuned with customer follow up and increase sales with the below extension:
Thanks James for adding to our list!
Nice list you’ve got there, I am sure they would be useful in improving efficiency for Magento sites.
What I see missing One step checkout from Magegiant http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/one-step-checkout-22.html in the list
Thanks a lot for listing those extensions! I was looking for something to handle abandoned carts in my store and I think I’ll try one of those in your list. Very-very useful article!
You’re welcome, Chris! I’m glad we could save you some research time. Let us know how it works out for your store.
Here is one more to add to your list:
This is a simple extension for $25
Make sure that your customers receive relevant information – separate
your email audience into smaller groups based on their customer/order
status, actions and other attributes.
Thanks a lot for listing those extension.I was looking for something
to handle abandoned carts in my store and e-service appreciated on my stores and I think I’ll try one of those
in your list. Very-very useful article!
Great list you’ve shared! You listed both types of extensions – one step checkouts and abandoned cart emails. I’m using only the latter now and would like to add it to the list https://amasty.com/magento-abandoned-cart-email.html
The list is really superb. But I know one more same extension like (Abandoned Carts Alerts Pro) on Magentocommerce also there price is low as compare to this extension and have some more advance features.
Nice article, I have seen lot of good extension for shopping cart and especially for abondoned cart,
Here are few which I can suggest best,
[…] its prevalence from the outset, though, so let’s take a look at how that can be accomplished. Magento, for example, is an open-source content management system for ecommerce sites. Available within the […]
Thanks for that great list. I totally agree with the extensions that listed above. And also i suggest one more useful and effective extension for abandoned cart that is out of list.
spectacular list which I have ever seen on internet. Thank you so much! I would like to add one more in your list. Check it out https://goo.gl/YQtp5o
Very nice list, thanks.
I analyze some of these products.
It is basically a complete solution includes many advanced features, due to which increases the price of the product.
I found a simple and cheap solution that meets most of the requirements for the automation of small e-commerce:
It is an automated email marketing platform, tailored for the needs of e-commerce. The platform helps to drive website visitors into customers. It’s CMS-based plugin enables launching triggered email marketing campaigns, that help improve retention rate, maximize sales, and acquire new customers. In fact, the tool replaces a team of analytics, marketers, and programmers. The integration process is extremely easy. It is an excellent solution to increase customer engagement, loyalty, and therefore get additional revenue.
Thanks for that list,
I would like to introduce you Carts Guru, multichannel solution for abandoned carts through retargeting emails, text messages, automated calls and Facebook!
[…] You're not alone – all online sellers suffer from cart abandonment issues. Find out what Magento's top 5 cart abandonment extensions are. […]
Separate your email audience into smaller groups based on their customer/order status, behaviors, and other attributes to ensure that your customers receive relevant information.
Thanks for the list. listed extensions are very important and useful. here I would like to suggest https://applionsoft.com/ it offers some other features that are also useful.